Save on Groceries - Download the CouponBar and never miss another offer!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Substituting in my Banana Muffins


Aldi had overripe bananas on sale for half price so I bought a bunch thinking I'd make muffins today. Since I hadn't made them for awhile I forgot the recipe called for buttermilk, and when I went to pull out the other ingredients I realized I didn't have enough baking soda. What's a girl to do? Substitute!!!

I put 1 tsp. lemon juice in a cup of milk and let it stand for 5 minutes for the buttermilk. And I just doubled the baking powder instead of using soda. The muffins were fantastic and no one could tell a difference!

Banana Muffins

1 c. Sugar
1 Stick Butter (softened)
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Cinnamon
3 Med. Bananas (mashed)
2 c. Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 c. Buttermilk

Cream sugar and butter together, add eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and bananas. Mix until smooth. Mix flour, soda, and powder in another bowl, until well blended. Add to buttermilk and dry ingredients to wet mixture, until just blended. Don't overblend or the muffins will be tough. Spoon into muffin cups, and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until browned and pulling away from sides.

The original recipe said this makes 12, but I always get 18 by filling muffin cups only 2/3 of the way full.

Enjoy!

No comments: