Thursday, April 2, 2009
Alterity: No Harm Antique Button Jewelry Review & Giveaway
*****This Contest is Now CLOSED*****
Ok, when I received this in the mail to review, I was stoked. Isn't this one of the most beautiful bookmarks you've ever seen? Lisa, a wonderful artist, sent it to me, and I love it! One of her specialities is antique and vintage button jewelry (which I'm a huge fan of!).
So...button jewelry. Hmmmm....you might wonder how I happen to fall into the button niche. Well, I can only blame Grandma Meyerhoefer's button box. Grandma was very poor (early widow with nine kids!), so when we went to Grandma's to visit, all she could offer me to play with was her button box. Now mind you, there was pretty boring buttons in there, but oh did I look forward to playing with it. To the point that when I grew up and moved out on my own, I snagged boxes and jars of buttons at garage sales and thrift shops whenever I saw them. In my early 30's, I did an internet search to find patterns to make something with these little beauties (yes, even the junky plastic ones!), when I stumbled upon the concept of collecting buttons. Not the junky shirt buttons, but antique buttons, of which I had none. So I contacted a woman in my area that was a member of a local button club (are you kidding....button clubs?) and the rest is history.
Her first shop is on 1000Markets, which is where she lists some of her more upscale items.
Her next shop is on Artfire. She never lists the same thing in any shop, so no matter where you visit her you are always looking at one-of-a-kind pieces!
I learned all about antique buttons, attaining quite a collection of my own from friends, dealers and antique button auctions (yes, there are auctions that auction only antique and vintage clothing buttons!). Shortly thereafter, when I learned about the value of antique buttons (I actually have a button I paid $150 for...most 18th Century buttons sell in the thousands!), I taught myself through various techniques how to create jewelry with these wonderful little valuable works of art without damaging them. It took me at least five years to perfect it! I am now in my early 40's and in January 2008, I finally started my business selling high quality jewelry containing antique and vintage clothing buttons. I work exclusively for myself now selling on several venues online and I wouldn't trade it for the world! I actually look forward to going to work come Monday morning!
So, has Lisa inspired you to create something of your own? Then check out her handmade buttons!
She is also clearing out a store of regular jewelry items and has up to 75% off most things!!! Don't forget to tell her I sent you!
Lisa has generously offered this bookmark to one of my readers!!!
So how do you enter?
1. Go to 1000 Markets and Artfire and tell me your favorite item from each shop. (This must be done first for all other entries to count!)
2. Follow Lisa's Blog on Blogger, and leave me a comment with your username.
3. Do ONE of the following: follow my blog on blogger or subscribe by email or RSS feed. Leave me a comment letting me know. If you're already a subscriber let me know for an entry!
4. Follow me on Twitter and tweet this giveaway. Leave me a comment with the URL to the tweet. (Following isn't enough, you must also tweet!)
5. Blog about this giveaway with a link back here, and to 1000Markets and Artfire. Leave me a comment with the URL.
6. Email 5 friends and let them know about the giveaway and give them the link. Make sure to CC: me the email, jadco123 @ hotmail.com. Leave me a comment letting me know you've done so.
7. Grab my button code (right side bar) and post it on your website. Leave me a comment with the URL so I can check.
8. Buy something from 1000Markets or Artfire for extra entries! Leave me a separate comment for each item you buy, and let me know which shop.
9. Buy something from Lisa's Clearance Sale on Alterity Art, and leave a separate comment for each item you buy (don't forget to let me know which shop it was!).
*You must do #1 for all other entries to count.
*You must leave your email with each comment, or have it on your profile. Make sure to set your profile to public so I can see it.
*This contest ends Thursday, April 9th, midnight EST.
*The winner will be emailed and have 2 days to get back to me with their information, or a new winner will be picked.